Thursday, November 19, 2009

Luke: "So, Doc, I've got HES? How come they don't have all the things I have and vice versa?" Doc: "Well, you don't just have HES..."

Haha. So yes, I thought when I heard the Dr. say I had HES, that that was ALL I had, however turns out, it's only a part of it. Obviously, HES is extremely complex anyways, but the doc says I also have a myloproliferative disease, as well as a possible variant of CML (chronomyolgeous leukimia), as well as some other stuff too. AAAHHH! :) So basically there are only 200 people in the U.S. that have this certain "diagnosis" (if you can even call it that!).

So, another update...

Long story short, mom and dad have been in and out over the last few weeks to help me get around, driven me to work, and basically just done so much for me and helped me in ways I can't explain. I'm realizing even more now how blessed I am to have incredible parents who love me, support me and are willing to do ANYTHING for me.

The pain levels latley have been extreme. I think finally we've figured out a pain medication that is finally working on an ongoing basis, but the nights are the worst. Mom has had God-given, superwoman strength lately to be able to lift my dead weight legs until dad could get here and help with that. Also, since we're staying with Chad and Holly (my brother and sister-in-law) now, he's also helping me which I'm sure is a welcome break for my mom.

This past Monday, my white blood cell counts were up to 50,000 again, the highest it had been since Abilene, and I was feeling it as well. Doc started me on a new medication, Sprycel, coupled with the Hydrea to hopefully knock those white blood counts down quickly and get the pain down as well. Not sure if its the meds or not, but my counts have come down in the last 3 days. Today they were 34,000. I'm also feeling a bit better too.

Yesterday and today however, my red blood cell counts have been very low, and so I received a blood transfusion yesterday along with the fluids I got, and am actually getting transfused right now again. The doctor just came in and said that I will be coming in every day to the "clinic" at Baylor to do these outpatient fluids, bloodwork and anything else that needs to be done until i'm feeling much better and my counts are hopefully normal. Not sure how long that will be...hopefully we'll get to go home for Thanksgiving. But if not, it'll be ok. God is so good and my family is so incredibly supportive. And you all as my extended family have been so amazing in lifting me up in prayer and my family at this time as well. Thank you so much for your kind words, prayers and comments. I pray God uses this for His glory...because as I've realized so much lately, we must be desperate for Jesus everyday to live this life to the fullest...whether we're in pain or not, whether health issues or not, we must cry out to Him and long for His presence.

I've been forced to do that more and more lately, and it makes me aware of how much I don't do it in normal day to day life. I pray for this to inspire everyone who reads to wake up daily and acknowledge how helpless and weak we are, and how we are in desperate need of a Savior who can rescue us from this crazy life and it's struggles.

May the Lord bless you and keep you,

In His Grace Alone,

Luke Longacre

7 comments:

  1. Luke, thanks for the update on your condition and also for the reminder that we all need to be living our life to the fullest with God in control. Hurry and get better; I miss having your mom in Abilene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am awed by your attitude and gratitude. It's the "little" things in life, such as a not-so-simple disease, that make us really strong! You can do it! Prayers for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke, I'm praying for you as are many other people here! Thanks for being such a great example in the midst of it all! I hope I can get in touch w/ you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your transparency and honesty. I love that in you! Still praying hard for this pain to get under control and for you to be able to live a semi normal life again. I know this is all consuming...thank God that HE is in control of all of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are continuously in our prayers. You continue to impress me with your positive and trusting attitude. I was reminded of a verse I read today in Deut 26,11: "...you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household." You are living it, cousin!

    Remember Joh 16,33: I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luke, you and the family are in our thoughts and prayers each day. We pray that the doctors keep the pain at bay while they work to get "all of the health issues" under control.

    You remember when Jeremiah was given instructions to buy a field and yet he knew all the signs, the pain and evil that lay before them as Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon was about to capture the city. Jeremiah questioned God.... and God's response to Jeremiah was, "I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?"

    We know the answer - nothing is too hard, too impossible, too out of control for our God to redeem and make "wonderful" again.

    I cling to those words from the God of all creation. I cling to that hope He gives us - He is in control. I know you believe that too. I am praying for you today, this Sunday morning that you will feel well, feel strong and feel His presence where ever you are and whatever you are doing.
    Nothing is too hard for our God.
    We love you. the Dansbys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luke, you are one of the most remarkable men I have ever had the honor to meet. I am so blessed and humbled to be your friend. You just blow me away. What a blessing you are! I am praying for you, and God brings you to my mind often! I am thankful for your friendship. Get well, Luke. I am praying for your healing.

    Love, Kim Harris

    ReplyDelete